January 19, 2016
This week we are kicking off a new miniseries within "The Science of Success" called "Weapons of Influence". This is the first in a six-part series based on the best selling book Influence by Robert Cialdini. If you loved that book, this will be a great refresher on the core concepts. And if you haven't yet read it, some of this stuff is gonna blow your mind.
So what are the 6 weapons of influence?
- Consistency & commitment
- Social Proof
Each one of these weapons can be a powerful tool in your belt - and something to watch out for when others try to wield them against you. Alone, each of them can create crazy outcomes in our lives and in social situations, but together they can create huge impacts.
Today’s episode covers the first weapon of influence - Reciprocation Bias - and you'll learn:
- How reciprocation creates unequal exchanges, and in one experiment by a factor of more than 500%
- Why reciprocation is powerful regardless of how much someone likes you
- How giving away flowers help build a powerful religious movement
- What made the “rejection and retreat” technique triple the success of an experiment
- How to defend against reciprocation bias from negatively impacting your decisions